flamra
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
flamra

The Florida Mini Roadracing Association forum: Here you'll find all the info about minimoto, motard and supermoto racing in Florida

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Question about spec bike front brakes.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
realfastbill_155

realfastbill_155

Question about spec bike front brakes. Empty
PostSubject: Question about spec bike front brakes.   Question about spec bike front brakes. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19 2008, 23:41

I picked up a Thumpstar TDX Super last week, I'm in the process of getting ready for the race in September. As I'm braking it in I've noticed that the front brake disc only seems to be wearing on the top half of the disk on the outside, and only maybe the top quarter on the inside of the disk! Really only the wavy parts.

I took off the caliper and only part of the pad is wearing as well. It also seems like the piston is only under half of the pad. I stared at this thing for mayb e20 minutes. All I can come up with is that this simply is not the right match of size between the caliper and disk. It appears the rear caliper is the same as the front, but with a smaller disc. The rear is grabbing correctly. So that means that I'm easily getting twice the braking power to the rear as the front.

It appears clear to me that this is a design error. Is any one else experiencing this?

I want to fix it, but my hands are tied with it being a part that can't be changed under the rules. Realisticly, this is a safety concern.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Below you can see the rotor, please tell me if the other spec bikes have the same one. Also notice in both pics you can see the difference in color on the rotor, that top half shows where the pads have actually touched.

Question about spec bike front brakes. R112
Question about spec bike front brakes. R210
Back to top Go down
flamra75
Admin
flamra75

PostSubject: Re: Question about spec bike front brakes.   Question about spec bike front brakes. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22 2008, 12:27

You’re right, all thumpstars are like that, unfortunately it’s something we can’t change on spec bikes.
I have a thumpstar with a 131cc kit that a I race on thumper 136 class, I fixed that by upgrading to 220mm rotor and 2 piston caliper but again unfortunately it’s something you can’t do to a spec bike if you want to be legal for spec class, what you can do to optimize the front brake is get the best aftermarket pads, I heard FERODO are great but I don’t know where to get them from.
And don’t worry, I’ve been dealing with it since the first thumpstars came to the US in 2005 and I can tell you it is not a safety issue at all. these bikes are more than proven to be reliable, and they are being used as spec bike for at least 4 mini racing leagues nationwide.
Back to top Go down
http://flamra.com
realfastbill_155

realfastbill_155

PostSubject: Re: Question about spec bike front brakes.   Question about spec bike front brakes. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22 2008, 20:54

Since I wrote this I've spoken to Ras over at Thumpstar. My impression was that he wasn't exactly happy about it either, but agreed it was a design flaw. He says they hope to remedy it in the next update of the bike.

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about spec bike front brakes.   Question about spec bike front brakes. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about spec bike front brakes.
Page 1 of 1