flamra
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
flamra

The Florida Mini Roadracing Association forum: Here you'll find all the info about minimoto, motard and supermoto racing in Florida

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?

Go down 
+2
freeflyer1
flamra75
6 posters
AuthorMessage
flamra75
Admin
flamra75

is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Empty
PostSubject: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01 2008, 12:32

With an increasing number of bikes running every Saturday we need to make sure every rider has a great time while doing his/her part to help keep the track in the best possible safety conditions; that's why we're going to start performing tech inspection at our sat practices.
We're just 3 weeks from the race and as in any other racing organization, to pass tech inspection is required to enter any race, so it's time to start getting ready. you can find the details at our website:
http://www.flamra.com/gpage3.html
I will be stocking at my shop some of the most common items needed to get your bike ready to pass tech.
I will also offer a complete service for those who preffer let someone else to take care of it. Let me know if I can help you.
Thanks for your cooperation.

Last edited by flamra75 on Wed Sep 03 2008, 00:11; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://flamra.com
freeflyer1

freeflyer1

PostSubject: Re: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02 2008, 10:28

So you are saying that we have to safety wire, put numbers on, and install catch cans just to run practice? Well, 8-10 of us were coming down on this Saturday, but I guess we'll just wait a month until Moroso opens back up.
Back to top Go down
realfastbill_155

realfastbill_155

PostSubject: Re: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02 2008, 14:00

Walter,

I was planning to come down this Saturday, but I won't have time to complete all of the tech requirements. Specifically I need a fuel catch can and something for the crankcase breather. I don't know if you want a catch can, or just a mini filter on there. Will these be items I can get at your shop Saturday? If so, please give me some prices. I'm going to need to get registered and licensed for the race too. So I need to make sure I have aenough money with me for everything.

-Bill
Back to top Go down
flamra75
Admin
flamra75

PostSubject: Re: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04 2008, 01:25

Well… I never thought doing a catch can and some safety wire would be such a big deal.
I’m just trying to make sure on the day of the race there’s not 20 bikes that need catch cans because I won’t have enough, at the same time I think it won’t hurt to have safer bikes even for practices, numbers are not required.
Anyway don’t worry I’m not saying you won’t be allowed to practice because your bike did not pass tech.
Back to top Go down
realfastbill_155

realfastbill_155

PostSubject: Re: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04 2008, 04:20

It's not that it's a big deal. It's just that I only read this Tuesday. I work 10 hour days and drive another 3 hours to and from work, plus I have two young kids. I simply wasn't sure if I'd have time to track down some catch cans by Saturday. Cartainly not if I have to go through the internet. You mentioned that you will have some commonly needed parts stocked, I just wanted to know if catch cans were some of these parts, and how much they would cost. Everything else on my bike meets tech.
Back to top Go down
flamra75
Admin
flamra75

PostSubject: Re: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04 2008, 09:05

I know Bill...you didnt make it a big deal, you just said you're working on it and I appreciate it.
I'm trying to get those catch cans by this saturday.
and don't worry about practices, nobody is goig to be sent back home for that.
Back to top Go down
CounterSteerer

CounterSteerer

PostSubject: Re: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04 2008, 12:54

freeflyer1 wrote:
So you are saying that we have to safety wire, put numbers on, and install catch cans just to run practice? Well, 8-10 of us were coming down on this Saturday, but I guess we'll just wait a month until Moroso opens back up.

What Walter was stating was everyone should review the safety requirements prior to the racing event and everyone should take the incentive to have your catch cans and safety wiring done for the practices as well. It is in the best interest to everyone participating in practice to have your catch cans so when you crash and your bike is lying on the asphalt it is not spilling gasoline everywhere leaving a slippery spot and destroying the track. Safety wiring your bolts is just another added safety procedure which again will keep you and your fellow riders safe. If it is more work than you can handle I know Fernando or Walter will be more than willing to give you a hand just bring your bikes down and ask for either one of them.
Back to top Go down
freeflyer1

freeflyer1

PostSubject: Re: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04 2008, 13:07

I go out for fun, not to race. I do several track days a year as well. While my ZX-10 is race ready, it is not required on track days at any track to do much more than tape off your lights. If Mini practice becomes to much of a headache for the fun riders and the kids, you will drive away new and established "fun riders", especially the younger kids, that are the future of our sport.
If you really wanted to be in the interest of safety, you would ban 450's and large displacement riders from riding on the mini track. Just my $.02.
Back to top Go down
realfastbill_155

realfastbill_155

PostSubject: Re: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04 2008, 13:30

Freeflyer,

It's a different scenerio than track days for big bikes. I do several track days per year as well, but this is a bit different. The big thing is the fuel catch can. Unlike with big bikes, these little bikes start spewing fuel even if you just lean them over. For example, I was testing the lean angle on mine to see where the bike would touch first in a crash, and it started leaking fuel before my peg sliders even touched. Also, unlike the big bikes, crashing is almost expected on these mini's. The speeds are slower and confidence is way up. When you feel less of a threat of injury, you tend to push a little closer to the edge. As a result, without catch cans there winds up being a lot of fuel on the track. That fuel can both damage the asphalt, and make a slippery spot. So that means immediate clean up. As often as someone drops one of these things, that means a lot of time that the people can't be on the track during clean up. Especially since this is such a low budget small operation, it's not like a huge purpose built road course with a huge staff, it's basically Walter....and...ummm his wife, and.....that's about it.

I don't think it's asking a lot, and I'm just in it for the fun too. This actually will make it less interupted fun. I looked into it, you can get a catch can for less than $10, many people are using the fuel tanks for radio control boats and airplanes. They are available at any hobby shop. That, a piece of rubber tube, and some zip ties, and you're done.
Back to top Go down
freeflyer1

freeflyer1

PostSubject: Re: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04 2008, 14:51

If you read the rules, it's much more than catch cans. Not everyone owns safety wire and safety wire pliers, even though I do. Moroso does not require these things.
Back to top Go down
CounterSteerer

CounterSteerer

PostSubject: Re: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04 2008, 15:11

freeflyer1 wrote:
I go out for fun, not to race. I do several track days a year as well. While my ZX-10 is race ready, it is not required on track days at any track to do much more than tape off your lights. If Mini practice becomes to much of a headache for the fun riders and the kids, you will drive away new and established "fun riders", especially the younger kids, that are the future of our sport.
If you really wanted to be in the interest of safety, you would ban 450's and large displacement riders from riding on the mini track. Just my $.02.

There are professional riders who ride at this track almost every Saturday night along with the kids and we are all there for one reason to have fun. We are not there for a race but for some fun wheel to wheel battles with friends. As far as the 450s the 150s are as fast as the 450s so should they band them as well? They have two groups a slow group and a fast group. If you want to tape your headlights up and consider that to be a good enough safety requirement for you ZX-10R on a race track go right ahead I disagree. If putting a catch can on your bike and safety wiring some bolts is to much of a headache Fernando or Walter will assist you. If you should feel unsafe at any point because of other riders due to there choice of motorcycle or actions stop and let Walter, Sabrina or Fernando aware and they will solve the problem.
Back to top Go down
realfastbill_155

realfastbill_155

PostSubject: Re: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04 2008, 15:14

That's true, but the catch cans are the main concern. almost all of the other things are common sense anyway, like working brakes and throttle return. The safety wire can be overlooked for practice. The main point of the thread was to prepare those that intend to race.
Back to top Go down
CounterSteerer

CounterSteerer

PostSubject: Re: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04 2008, 15:25

Freeflyer1,
I know sometimes when typing in a forum the message may come off as rude. I certainly dont want to sound rude so please dont take offense to my statements it was not my intention. I would like to be clear if any one has an issue with there bike that there is some one at the track that would be willing to help them out. And Walter would never turn any one away from having a good time because of some safety wire. Please come on down and if any one needs help just ask.
Back to top Go down
realfastbill_155

realfastbill_155

PostSubject: Re: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04 2008, 16:01

I agree, I always have safety wire and pliers with me, as well as many other tools. We all want everyone to be able to have fun and ride.
Back to top Go down
flamra75
Admin
flamra75

PostSubject: Re: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04 2008, 21:09

realfastbill wrote:
Freeflyer,

It's a different scenerio than track days for big bikes. I do several track days per year as well, but this is a bit different. The big thing is the fuel catch can. Unlike with big bikes, these little bikes start spewing fuel even if you just lean them over. For example, I was testing the lean angle on mine to see where the bike would touch first in a crash, and it started leaking fuel before my peg sliders even touched. Also, unlike the big bikes, crashing is almost expected on these mini's. The speeds are slower and confidence is way up. When you feel less of a threat of injury, you tend to push a little closer to the edge. As a result, without catch cans there winds up being a lot of fuel on the track. That fuel can both damage the asphalt, and make a slippery spot. So that means immediate clean up. As often as someone drops one of these things, that means a lot of time that the people can't be on the track during clean up. Especially since this is such a low budget small operation, it's not like a huge purpose built road course with a huge staff, it's basically Walter....and...ummm his wife, and.....that's about it.

I don't think it's asking a lot, and I'm just in it for the fun too. This actually will make it less interupted fun. I looked into it, you can get a catch can for less than $10, many people are using the fuel tanks for radio control boats and airplanes. They are available at any hobby shop. That, a piece of rubber tube, and some zip ties, and you're done.

I couldn't have explained it better Smile
Back to top Go down
flamra75
Admin
flamra75

PostSubject: Re: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04 2008, 21:12

I'll gladly give some safety wire to every rider!!! and everybody can use my safety wire twister.
Back to top Go down
flamra75
Admin
flamra75

PostSubject: Re: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04 2008, 21:18

CounterSteerer wrote:
freeflyer1 wrote:

There are professional riders who ride at this track almost every Saturday night along with the kids and we are all there for one reason to have fun. We are not there for a race but for some fun wheel to wheel battles with friends. As far as the 450s the 150s are as fast as the 450s so should they band them as well? They have two groups a slow group and a fast group. If you want to tape your headlights up and consider that to be a good enough safety requirement for you ZX-10R on a race track go right ahead I disagree. If putting a catch can on your bike and safety wiring some bolts is to much of a headache Fernando or Walter will assist you. If you should feel unsafe at any point because of other riders due to there choice of motorcycle or actions stop and let Walter, Sabrina or Fernando aware and they will solve the problem.
somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember any incident caused by bike or rider size difference.
Back to top Go down
Semra46

PostSubject: Tech inspection   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10 2008, 15:03

freeflyer1 wrote:

You are kidding, right? Walter is just asking for standard SAFETY items. Also, have you seen what race fuel does to asphalt in a crash? More and more trackowners are making the club liable for racetrack damage. Protect our riding venues. Don't put Walter in a bad position when he is trying to help the mini roadracing scene. I can tell you firsthand he isn't doing it for the money. He has a passion for racing minis. A catch can from a hobby shop costs $10. A simple RC fuel tank will resist race fuel and is crash resistant.

John Halsey
www.semra.org
semra46@bellsouth.net
Back to top Go down
freeflyer1

freeflyer1

PostSubject: Re: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10 2008, 17:52

Is there any Paramedics at track? Was wondering what would happen if someone got seriously injured? Is there a Hospital close by?

Last edited by freeflyer1 on Wed Sep 10 2008, 18:45; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
freeflyer1

freeflyer1

PostSubject: Re: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10 2008, 17:58

If catch cans is all I need then no problem.
Back to top Go down
sabry418

sabry418

PostSubject: Re: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10 2008, 22:38

freeflyer1 wrote:
Is there any Paramedics at track? Was wondering what would happen if someone got seriously injured? Is there a Hospital close by?
we're in the middle of a big city, rescue truck response time to our track is 5/8 min. there's at least 3 mayor hospitals within 15 miles.
Palmetto General Hospital 3.76 mi
Jackson north medical center 6.5 mi
Jackson memorial hospital 11.5 mi
there will be paramedics present at the race.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flamra.com
freeflyer1

freeflyer1

PostSubject: Re: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11 2008, 10:44

That's great. After seeing Marco hit the tire wall at the end of turn one at high speed and doing flips, I was a little cocerned that he might need some medical attention.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?   is your bike ready to pass tech inspection? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

is your bike ready to pass tech inspection?
Page 1 of 1